3 April 2011

The one where I thank my brother for helping Matt for get it so right.

Today is mother's day in the UK and it is third one out of five since Maddie has been born that I am spending it without my husband. Yesterday morning was bittersweet because Matt was leaving again and had only been home for 3 weeks.

After dropping him off at work to catch his plane, Maddie and I came home and I closed the front door feeling an overwhelming sense of emptiness. It felt so lonely that the dog had to fill the void with an alarming amount of gas.

When the doorbell rang 5 minutes later, I welcomed the possibility of company and the strong fresh burst of air that I knew would clear out the cloud of nastiness that still lingered from the dog.

What I didn't expect was my neighbour holding a massive bouquet of flowers with a sheepish smile saying "these were delivered while you were out".

The flowers were from Matt. The card simply read: Don't thank me. Thank your brother. Happy mother's day, you are really amazing.

It was a bit of an inside joke really. Last week my brother's wife posted pictures on facebook of some gorgeous flowers that my brother had given her. In response to a comment that someone had written, she replied that my brother gave her flowers all the time - special occassion not necessary. To which I responded "tell my brother to have chat with my husband...lol". Some facebook banter ensued and the rest (as they say) is now history. My younger brother has apparently schooled Matt in the art of some fine flower gifting.

What I really didn't expect was for another flower delivery today. I thought that it must be either a mistake or maybe flowers from my mom (she is awesome that way)!



The card read: Don't thank me, thank Uncky J. (my brother), love Maddie. Now Maddie is great with a computer but even she doesn't have the skill set to order and pay for flowers online (or does she)??? It would appear that my lovely husband got me another bouquet of flowers and sent them in Maddie's name. I don't think the delivery person was ever caught in such an awkward moment when I started weeping "I can't believe he did this!  Why would he do this?" She backed away quite quickly perhaps confusing my incredulous reaction with anger (it is not like I said it whilst shredding the flowers with a pair of scissors.....)

Those flowers made my weekend and I don't think that either my brother or Matt will ever know how much. Thank you Jeremy for being such a great man (and husband to Maria) and thank you Matt for being the most wonderful husband and getting it so, so right!


You do realise that the bar has now been set........

2 comments:

Lily Ruth's Mama said...

Great. Now I'm all weepy. Thanks, Matt.

Happy Mum's Day!

p.s. my Capcha was 'shabust' - is that some sort of bizarre combination of Shabat & bust?

kittyn_uk said...

I keep meaning to post you some of the capchas that I get - one was vamphro - you just can't make this stuff up!!!

Post a Comment