22 November 2009

Things I really miss - Part I

Like anyone moving to a foreign country, there are certain things that I miss so desperately that sometimes I cry (just a little to myself).  Oddly enough the things that I miss the most are not what I expected - like my friends and my family.  Okay well I do really miss them to, but at least I can call, facebook and skype them and get a small if not tangible dose of them.  No, the things I miss the most are small everyday things that I took for granted.


Foody things like:  hazelnut coffee, tortillas, hot sauce, sushi, Libby's canned pumpkin and Kraft Mac n' Cheese (just to name a few).


Shopping places like:  Whole Foods, Rite Aid (really any 24 hour store), Bath and Body Works




Random stuff like:  Victoria's Secret Underwear, Not having to wear a winter coat, Fahrenheit, top loading washing machines, EmergenC, The Southern California Freeway system. Now I know on this last one you might be asking yourself (is she CRAZY?)  Forgetting about LA for a minute, the freeway system that surrounds San Diego in my opinion is phenomenal!  You can get just about anywhere in 20 minutes or less.  That is amazing for such a large city.






Some of my saddest days are driving into Lincoln.  a city of about 90,000 people (maybe less, that could be with surrounding villages).  It sometimes takes me 45 to get across town (across town being about 3 miles).  The traffic here is nasty, because they have no freeways.  And yes I know that freeways are ugly, but so are nervous breakdowns!  I often get pangs of longing when I see a queue (that's a line to you) of 20 cars trying to get through a traffic light lasting 5 seconds, knowing that their problems would be solved by 6 lanes - IN EACH DIRECTION.






Note to self, get certified to get on planning board of Lincoln City.

2 comments:

Lily Ruth's Mama said...

Things That I Think England Should Have
by Rachel:

Mixed Taps - I either scalded or froze my hands/face/body any time washing was needed. Included in that is LARGER BATHTUBS as my pregnant ass got STUCK more than half the time.

Wider Roads - yikes.

More Starbucks (or at least better located stores) - that one's for you, Kitts.

Fewer boxes of chocolates at Christmas time - my butt has still not recovered :-P

kittyn_uk said...

We do have mixed taps in our new home (yay for no more burned hands)! I am so with you on the Starbucks. If I had my way they would move into the space right below me so that I could have gingerbread lattes everyday with cream, with CREAM! Actually it is probably a good thing that they are so far away because if they were below me I would probably:

1. Get sick of gingerbread lattes in about 2 years and then what would I pine for?

2. Get fat drinking gingerbread lattes for about 2 years and then where would I be?

I could write a whole series of blogs of British and their chocolate. It is a national obsession at Christmas. I don't think I ever got a box of chocolate given to me as a gift in California. How many did we get last year - like 12?! Yikes. I ended up giving quite a bit away and when we moved the rest went in the trash!

Post a Comment