8 February 2010

Pancake Mirth


Mardi Gras is right around the corner and every year reminds me of why I love my husband so much and why I agreed (practically on our first date) to marry him.  Matt and I met around Halloween in California and got married just before Christmas of the same year (judge all ye like, it was love at first sight and I am convinced that I was not drugged in any way).  You may then wonder why Mardi Gras came into my decision to marry him, being that it was about 5 months away.  I will tell you the story.

So there we were sitting in a breakfast cafe in Ocean Beach on a lovely October morning.  We had recently kidnapped each other from a costume party that he had crashed and I was ready to leave and thought breakfast sounded appropriate.  At this restaurant (I use the term loosely it was really more of a greasy spoon), Matt was staring at the menu with wonder in his eyes.

"I can't believe a breakfast menu is 6 pages long - we have like 4 choices at home"
"We Americans like our breakfast"

More page flipping, more wonder and then his mouth turns up in the largest grin I have ever seen which turned into him spurting out in fits of laughter...

"This is the best place ever!  They actually serve pancakes for breakfast - I have never seen that!"
"What - you have never seen pancakes on a menu before?"
"Not really, no."
"Don't they eat pancakes in England?"
"Of course they do - but it isn't an every day thing!"
"Why - when do you eat pancakes - Pancake Day?"

I am trying to be cute, flippant, funny and cool all the same time and am satisfied that I am pulling it off when he replies in a deadpan voice...

"yes"

To which I actually start choking on my coffee in fits of laughter, trying not to roll off the side of my booth bench and knock myself out on the cement floor.  I was LOVING his sense of humor.

"Nice one - wait - seriously?"

Okay - I actually thought he was pulling my leg and then I realized - he wasn't!

"So, when is this so called 'Pancake Day'? Do they have a 'muffin day' and a 'bagel day' too?"
"Don't be ridiculous"
"Sorry - so Pancake Day - the celebration of pancakes then!  Do pancakes mean a great deal historically in England?"
"No - Pancake Day marks the start of Lent"
"Ahhhhh - you mean Mardi Gras"
"What?  I don't think so/"
"Mardi Gras is the start of Lent.  Also known as Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday."
"Must be then.  We just call it pancake day"
"And do you eat pancakes all day?"
"That's just silly - no - we just make a batch of pancakes and eat them."
"I am liking your country more and more my friend!"

This actually led to an entire discussion about food including:

Pancakes versus Flapjacks
Flapjacks versus Granola Bars
Pigs in Blankets versus Sausage Rolls
Bucks Fizz versus Mimosas
(more on these at a later date)

Ever since that morning we have celebrated Pancake Day and still have a laugh about that first breakfast eight years ago.  BTW - The pancakes they use here are really more like crepes (very thin ones).  They are traditionally served with lemon juice and powdered sugar.  Here is a recipe in case you too would like to make some pancakes to celebrate Mardi Gras.


Pancake Day Pancakes:

  • 150g plain flour
  • 2 large size eggs
  • 300ml milk
  • 150ml water
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • Butter to grease

Method

  1. Sift the flour and make a well in the centre. Break in the eggs and mix in the flour with a wooden spoon.
  2. Gradually add the milk and water, stirring well so that it becomes completely smooth. Add the oil and leave to stand in a cool place for 3 hours.
  3. Lightly grease a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Heat to exactly the right temperature, but not so hot that it smokes the fat or burns the pancakes.
  4. Cook a tablespoon of the mixture at a time, spreading it over the pan. You may need to loosen the edges of the pancakes from the pan before you toss them, and allow a minute on each side to cook them through. Stack on pieces of greaseproof paper before using.




0 comments:

Post a Comment