18 February 2010

Trimming the Fat (a closet makeover)

I am pretty sure that 90 percent of the population has seen the TV show Friends.  That is probably an overstatement, but I am going with it anyways - roll with me folks!  There is an episode that is particularly endearing because, well, it is all about me.  I am talking about the one with Monica's secret closet.



If you have never seen Friends then here is a quick synopsis.  Monica is a clean freak.  Her friends have put up with it for years.  One day her husband notices a closet in their apartment that he had never seen.  It is locked.  When he finally picks it open he is bowled over with decades worth of stuff that has been shoved in there - untidily.  This closet is her answer to a junk drawer and this is where my story begins.

I too am a bit on the tidy side, although not quite as mental as my Friends friend Monica.  I too have that closet.  Here is where my story gets sad.  My closet is not some random, spare nook tucked away at the back of the house.  The closet in question is MY closet - and I can barely open it without being knocked on the head from something falling off the top shelf.  Here is a quick list of some of the stuff in there:

1. Clothes (summer, winter, dressy, too small, too big, too old and OMG why?)
2. Games
3. Wrapping Paper (about 20 rolls)
4. Ceremonial Swords
5. Roller Blades
6. Box full of stuff that I have visions of putting in a scrap book
7. An empty scrap book
8. 5 large carrier bags filled with different holiday decorations
9. Suitcases
10. Some of Maddie's old baby toys
11. A box full of Matt's old toys (nothing sick, but please don't ask)
12. An electric guitar amp
13. Old School Papers
14. Hangers that breed at a rate that would make rabbits ashamed

This is not a complete list - I think you get the mental picture.  If not, here is a real one (don't look if you suffer from low or high blood pressure or are on any medications for anxiety, OCD or acne).  Please appreciate that this photo does not convey the depth or bottom half of my closet.



Now on one hand I work in a gym, so my daily garb doesn't include anything that needs to be dry cleaned or even hung for that matter.  Because of this, I have tended to use my closet as a dumping ground for anything I don't want showing when company comes over to stay.  The guest bedroom is actually like crap limbo in our house and my closet, its final resting place.

I decided that today would be a great day to do 'something' about this eyesore.  For starters I have run out of drawer space to put anything that isn't yoga pants, for another I really need to lose some post holiday weight and thought that an afternoon reconnecting with beautiful garments that don't fit me might be just the impetus needed.

I decided that the best way to start was to take everything out of the closet and dump it back into crap limbo.  This was the result.



Then I started separating clothes into categories:

1. Things that were in season now, things that would be in season soon and things that can never be worn in England.
2. Things that needed to be mended and things that would be heinous even if they were fixed
3. Things that I will probably never fit into again thanks to having a kid and things that I could probably get into if I just followed my own advice and worked out more.
4. Things that are precious to me and things I don't remember buying
5. Hangers

Once the categories were decided I only put back the clothes that were in season and fit me.  After hanging up those 2 pieces I decided I had room for a bit more so I added some spring pieces and some formal wear as well.  The result:



I still need to sort out what to do with the rest of the space up top.  Oh yeah - and figure out what to do with all of the limbo crap - because it can not stay in our guest room.  I think this will be a work in progress.  Tomorrow the party supplies will find a new home - that is my goal and I'm sticking to it!

Do you have a secret Monica drawer, closet, room?  Send me a picture so I can feel better about myself!

0 comments:

Post a Comment