17 May 2010

R.I.P. Selena - Hairdresser Extraodinaire


Okay - so my beloved hairdresser is not really dead - but she may as well be - she has left the scene and left no traces of where or how to find her (why didn't I get her last name)!?!?!

I happened across this gem of a hair artist about 2 years ago just before I opened my gym.  There is a salon in the same complex and I decided that:

1.  I needed to stop coloring my hair myself (it just stopped working right after I had a baby - maybe the hormones???)
2. Making nice with the owner and hairstylists would be good for my buisness.
3. I really needed a good professional cut and re-style after the great post-pregnancy hair loss of 2006 (seriously, there weren't bald patches but it could pull out clumps of hair every morning).

I made an appointment and was booked in with Selena.  Our first date was a bit off-putting at first:

1. She was a bit moody and weird.  She didn't really like to talk and seemed slightly disinterested.
2. She refused to give me an opinion - kept asking me what I wanted and when I waffled she left decisions to me saying "it's your choice." 

I don't know about you but I am clueless about hair.  I need for somebody to tell me what will work.  I do not always agree and usually end up having an opinion if I think it is too extreme, but I found her lack of input frightening.

When I finally described the style I was going for, she cut and colored my hair and IT WAS FABULOUS.  I have never had such a gorgeous cut and color.  Well, there was the one hairdresser in San Diego that I went to once, while back there on vacation from England.  He charged more than some people pay for a mortgage payment and took 5 hours to complete my look (I get shivers thinking about how wonderful my hair looked after he finished).

I stayed with Selena ever since, letting her play with color and texture and style.  Our relationship was still weird - she didn't really like to talk and left me to alot of the decision making, but each and every time I walked out of that salon I felt like I was shooting a hair commercial.



When she left I tried 2 other stylists at the salon and they were - not so good.  Everything I asked for them not to do, they did:

1. Did I ask for twin rat tails streaming down the side of my face?
2. Do I have to pay for the extra strip of color you left on the back of my neck?
3. Oh, please, please straighten my already stick straight and baby fine hair so that it hangs, pasted down my scalp?
4.  Is that a duck tail in the back of my head?
5. Really, mullets are back in style?


They both had an overbearing opinion about everything and my hair left feeling very sad both times.

My 3 inch dark brown roots flecked with platinum (yeah - they are not silver it is blonde) have decided that it is time to move on and find a new stylist.  I have booked an appointment on Thursday with a girl at a very posh salon who is supposed to be 'magic with hair'.  I hope she lives up to her reputation.  If she does the first question that I will ask her is:  "What is your last name?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment