9 January 2010

Night of the Living Dead

Transatlantic flights are almost never fun when travelling with a 3 year old and are particularly gruesome when traveling in hazardous winter conditions (in both locales).  Every time we fly back home from the States there is that first day/night at home when we don't know if we are coming or going.  Is it day, is it night, what time zone are we in?, am I hungry, it it appropriate to drink a beer?  The 6 hour time difference sucks when you are flying East - some may argue with me about that but this is my life so shush.   The first day back after flights like these are like the Night of the Living Dead - we are awake, but not really.  We are more like zombies cruising through the house trying to get our bearings and deciding on a plan of action.



Our latest journey ended yesterday evening at around 7pm GMT.  Our latest journey began at noon the day before - in a quasi blizzard. After spending one trillion hours in transit (do the math yourself I am still really tired) we finally made it home - to NO WATER!  Yes folks our pipes had frozen.  Let me list the things you cannot do without water:

Get a glass of water
Make your daughter corn on the cob (her only request)
Make your own night of the living dead curry (recipe to follow)
Flush the toilet
Wash RAW chicken off your hands (from the NOTLD curry)
Take a shower
Give the dog a drink

So here WE are - me, husband, child and dog and WE are - stinky, tired, thirsty and needing to use the toilet.  Bring on Night of the Living Dead!   Oh did I mention that Maddie had slept for the entire flight AND the whole 3 hour drive home and by 7pm was AWAKE!!!!!

7 pm-10 pm - Like zombies Matt and I tried ringing our water supply company and making dinner - basically going through the motions.  Finally told by water company that no one could come until the morning - does this mean we can go to bed?


10 pm  - we both thought we were going to collapse we were so delirious with exhaustion.  Plead with daughter to convince her that she really is tired and just confused by the time difference.

The next couple of hours I am going to have to wing, because I was in zombie form and that self doesn't always communicate with me.  I vaguely remember doing a puppet show, watching Annie, reading several hundred books and perhaps some gymnastics (I could be making that up).

12 am (midnight) Maddie - STILL NOT TIRED.   I basically had to put her in her room with my iphone and an apology because my body wouldn't stay awake.  The resulting apocalypse that ensued was beyond anything I could have imagined.  Matt and I passed out at that point and luckily at some point (I'm thinking about 3ish) Maddie did too.

I hate the Night of the Living Dead feeling - happens every time so I don't know why it catches me off guard every time.  I have created a great curry though that we normally make for just such occasions!  Here is the recipe (don't make this if you don't have running water for the obvious and not so obvious reasons):

Chicken - cube it
Peppers and Onions - roughly dice
Garlic
Garam Masala
Chicken Stock
Tomato Paste
Diced canned tomatoes
Cumin
Turmeric
Curry Powder
Rice

Cut up anything solid and fry in some olive oil (onions, garlic and peppers followed by chicken is normally best)
Chuck in the spices, with a little stock a can of tomatoes and some tomato paste - figure out amounts based on the consistency you like your curry - I am still tired so I am not going to figure it out for you!
Boil some rice - seriously if you can't make your own rice I can't help you

Heat up some naan bread and serve when everything is ready - OR when you feel like you can't stay awake much longer to eat!

I am going to bed - Night!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment