31 January 2010

Welcome to the Workend - Cocktail?

It came to me a few workends ago, that we have been robbed as a society (at least amongst my peers) of proper weekends.  I can not remember the last time (while not on vacation) when my husband and I both had a weekend off - completely off - to relax, catch up and just BE!  I am thinking it has been AT LEAST 17 years.  Okay, since we've only been married 7 years that may bit a b-i-t of an exaggeration, but it seems like that long.

Usually workends go something like this:

Friday
Pick up Maddie from school
Entertain Maddie after school
Cook dinner for Maddie
Cook dinner for us
Freak out about the amount of paperwork I didn't finish during the week
Collapse from exhaustion

Saturday
Wake up at the crack of dawn with Maddie
Realize that I am going to be late for work if I don't jump in the shower
Jump in the shower
Run out the door
Work
Work some more
Come home to the realization that dinner needs to be cooked and the weekend is almost over
Collapse from exhaustion

Sunday
Wake up at the crack of dawn with Maddie
Put on a 2 hour puppet show for her (okay these usually are fun)
Do 13 loads of laundry
Go grocery shopping
Clean the house
Finish up all of the paperwork that I didn't do during the week
Go into the gym to clean
Make dinner
Sit and wonder why tomorrow is Monday already...

In the past my weekends used to go:

Friday
Finish work with happy hour with friends
Order a pizza and watch a movie
Sleep

Saturday
Whatever - sometimes errands were involved, sometimes not
Meet up with friends for a night out or in
Sleep

Sunday
Sleep
Brunch
Catch up with emails
Watch crap TV or shop
Sleep

Okay - so all of my weekends of yesteryear did not play out just like that (their were roadtrips thrown in and even a couple of working days).  Many of the reasons my life has changed and brought about a lack of personal chill time, I am grateful for.  I have a wonderful business, I love most of the responsibility my work brings and adore my family (most of the time).  Sometimes I just lust after the bygone years of wasted and wonderful weekends.  This year I am going to try to get one weekend a month to shamefully throw away into the abyss - are you in?

1 comments:

Lily Ruth's Mama said...

I am sooooooooooo in. Waste away!

Post a Comment