1 January 2010

Texas Style New Year

Matt and Maddie and I have been visiting the States and for the past couple of weeks have been in Madison, Wisconsin.  This week saw us flying down to San Antonio Texas to visit my very bestest friend and her husband AND their nearly new baby (Rachel, Don and Lily Ruth).  After a VERY LONG flight down (seriously it took almost as long to get from Chicago to San Antonio as it did to get across the pond) we arrived to the promise of Texas Welcome Water and some grub (tequila, steak and fries).

New Years Eve day Rachel and I were very fortunate to have the boys take the baby out on an impromptu trip to San Marcos leaving us the entire afternoon to do what we love to do together - pamper, shop, chat and eat!  Specifically this involved:

1. Eyebrow waxing from a darling so cute that I wanted to package her up and take her back to England.
2. Spa pedicures in massage chairs so comfortable that I wanted to package them up and take them back to England.
3. Asian fusion food so good that I wanted to wrap it up and bring it back to England.
4. A Trip to Lush - this one we already have in England so I had no desire to bring it home.

After an entire day of feeling great we ended up with what felt like 30 minutes to get ready to go out to dinner.  We went to this very cool french restaurant that was not of the stuffy variety.  The food was tasty, the wine was delicious and afterwards we headed over to see some family friends who were have a soiree.  The host and hostess in an odd twist of the evening were both from the UK (she from Dundee and he from Upminster).  On top of that they were both ex RAF - how strange.  After spending about an hour there we made our way back home to crack open some bubbly and ring in the New Year.

I am fairly confident nearly all of us were asleep in some manner before the strike of 12.  I know for a fact that I was snoring - LOUDLY because my husband had to poke me in the ribs to let me know.  We did manage to miss the countdown, but were able to make a toast and watch some fireworks on TV - Goodbye 2009!

New Years Day has made me miss living in a warm climate and just being back in the States in general.  We took a long walk down the River Walk enjoying the bright blue sky and sunshine.  This has been followed by watching the Rose Bowl on TV (go Oregon).  I am not sure what the rest of our week here is going to entail, but I am filled with the promise of happiness, excitement and good food!

Bring It On 2010!

0 comments:

Post a Comment