4 April 2010

Chicken Run

Today I entered the 2nd Annual Chicken 5k Fun Run and Walk. 

A few of us from the gym had talked about doing it and I decided to go for it because:


1.  I had done the Santa Run earlier in the year and had a ball. 
2.  I personally had nothing better to do.
3.  I love an opportunity to dress in theme.
4.  Lucy  really needed to be taken out for a serious walk.



In the spirit of the event I was prepared to:

1.  Dress up like a chicken.
2.  Walk with my dog and my child (in a stroller) whilst having a good conversation with my friends.
3.  Make a fool of myself.
4.  Have a good time with some fun men and women.
5.  Not win.   We were placed at the back of the race with all the other people with animals and kids who were walking for fun so as not to get in the way of the 'serious' runners.  Seriously?  Who can be serious about running in a chicken suit......I'm just saying...
6. Be cold - the high was supposed to be 48 degrees with a strong wind and chance of rain.

I was not prepared to:

1. Run most of the 5k trailing behind my dog whilst pushing my 35 pound kid in her stroller.
2. Feel disappointed, when after gaining quite a bit of ground during a 10 minute sprint I had to stop while my dog pooped for England.  I watched, dejected and angry, at all the runners I had passed, pass me by with smiles on their faces (you know who you are).
3. Have my left arm ache so badly (arms aren't something that are normally sore after a race unless you have a large dog dragging you around a course or are involved in some sort of crazy wheelbarrel relay) .
4. Watch my dog get a medal for completing the 5k (although she really deserved one).
5. Sweat so badly in my fur chicken suit and head-dress.  I am almost always cold when running in England (except in the height of summer).  I was ready to strip nude by the 2nd mile which would have turned more heads than the girl wearing fishnets and a playboy bunny leotard (???)

Okay - we did not come in first, or second, or even 50th, but I do believe we finished at at least the 50th percentile, which isn't too shabby considering I was hampered down by a fur beast and kid.  All in all not a bad day - next year I think I will let the dog off the lead and let her go for it - really we were holding her back.   ;)

So that completes one whole item of my 25 Things List.  If I can stay awake until Maddie goes to bed and have the strength to catapult myself into the bathtub, I might just complete another item as well - my all inclusive spa night.  I will let you know tomorrow if it happens!

Kittyn

1 comments:

Lily Ruth's Mama said...

just. almost. peed. myself.

I adore you.

Post a Comment