9 April 2010

Does it Count?

One of the items on my 25 Things List was to let Maddie stay at the playground for as long as she wanted even if I was feeling cold/bored/tired...........


Technically:
I could cross that item off my list today. 
I took my daughter to the playground. 
We didn't leave until she wanted to.

Really:
Not sure if the trip  met all the requirements
We left in a flood tears from a whopper of a Maddie Meltdown
We weren't there long enough for me to get cold/bored/tired

The Scene:  The local village playground
The Participants:  Maddie and several playgroup friends that showed up with their mums
The Turning Point:  When I wouldn't/couldn't lift Maddie overhead to get her to the top of the slide

So there we were at the playground, when to Maddie's delight (and mine), her best friend Emily showed up with her mum.  I was thinking it was going to be a nice afternoon - someone for Maddie to play with and adult conversation for me.  This lasted about 2 minutes, when Maddie suddenly decided her legs didn't work and wanted to be lifted to the top of a climbing frame.  The overhead lift required was something I was not prepared to do for several reasons:

1. My shoulder is out of whack and I CAN'T lift 35 pounds of wriggling weight that high
2. Maddie's legs work just fine (I checked)
3. A line was drawn I was going to be damned if I gave in to sacrifice ever being able to pick up even a fork again.

I sat down on a bench with Emily's mum while Emily ran off to play with some other friends that had appeared.  What did my daughter do?  Followed me to the bench screaming and crying at the top of her lungs for me to carry her.  After ignoring her for several minutes, I noticed she was calming down a bit.  After 5 minutes, she was able to scoop up her dignity and go play with her friends. Ahhhhhhhhh bliss.....

......until she decided that she wanted to be lifted on to things of height again and I again declined.

Cue:  Screaming, tears, foot stomping and a final cry of "I want to go home!!!"

So we did - does it count?

Kits ;p

2 comments:

Lily Ruth's Mama said...

oh it SOOOOO counts. I am almost peeing myself over 'my legs don't work'. That is classic. Good thing we started blogs so that their high school boyfriends can read the TRUTH about our girls :-P

kittyn_uk said...

I am so making this blog into a book to present to Maddie when she is old enough to understand it through a grown-ups eyes, but still young enough to be slightly embarassed!

Post a Comment