6 April 2010

Redecorated the gym

I must be insane because I spent 6 hours on Easter Monday redecorating the gym.  Everything in the back was moved up front and everything up front - well I think you know where I am going with this.  The end result is:  The jury is still out on this one.  I am not sure if I love it or hate it.  I am not always receptive to change and this was a big one (even though it was self imposed).  When I opened my gym 18 months ago, I spent ages analysizing the space I had and where I wanted every last little thing to go.  When you spend that much time on a project (months), it can be hard to watch it disappear.  The change needed to be done for several reasons:

1. Members get bored after time and something as simple as moving the workout equipment can boost their interest.
2. We had added a new piece of equipment and the circuit was getting a bit tight where it was.
3. I wanted to break out of my comfort zone and try something new.

What I love about it:
1. Lots of space on the circuit now
2.Members' area is in the back which is a nice little space and near the kitchen where they can get a cup of coffee or tea.
3. Less pounding sunlight up front where the equipment is, which will be cooler in the summer.
4. It lets people see what we are all about when they hit the top of the steps - it screams - I AM A GYM!
5. My diet and nutrition classes can be held while the gym is open because we are around the corner from the music.

What I hate about it:
1.The reception desk is going to need to be moved to the rear of the gym which kind of defeats the point (that job is going to involve some re-wiring and was too major to undertake in a day).
2. When you walk into the gym you are immediately in the middle of - well - the gym.  If a person walks to enquire about membership or is there for their first appointment, it can be a bit intimidating to be in the middle of a group working out.
3.  We will never be able to hear another phone conversation again because the music just floods the place.

We'll see what the feedback is this week - I am prepared to move it all back again if it doesn't work (sorry Kayleigh and Kaz)...........

As soon as I get some pictures I will post them and maybe you can give me your feedback as well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment